Total Pageviews

Sunday, 22 June 2014

Fact 24. The first enclosed dock entered from the Humber was opened in 1809.

The Dock, that became Queen's Dock, was a huge success and had become over crowded since it opened in 1778. The size of the ships had continued to grow and this made access via the River Hull even more difficult to gain entry to Queen's Dock. There were several delays, partly because the Hull Dock Company wanted to protect their monopoly as long as possible. How ever by 1802 the pressure resulted in an Act of Parliament being passed with the required permissions etc.

The costs were to be born 50% by the Hull Dock Company and 25% each by Hull Trinity House and Hull Corporation. The work started in 1803 and the spoil excavated from the site was used to reclaim land south of Humber Street. The work was completed in 1809 and was opened for shipping 30th June 1809.

On the right of the postcard can be seen Sammy's Point (where the Deep is now built) that is the entrance to the Old Harbour or River Hull. In the middle is Corporation Pier where the ferries used to operate from. To the left of this can be seen the two jetties that enclosed the tidal basin that led to Humber Dock Lock and the Humber Dock it's self beyond. The photo was obviously taken after 1829 as Junction Dock has been constructed to the north of Humber Dock.

The dock was 279 x 104 metres and the lock was 48 x 13 metres and the water depth in the dock was between 6.4 and 7.4 metres. Out side the lock there was a basin that remained tidal enclosed by a couple of piers. This area was utilised for working the numerous barges and keels that moved cargo around the docks or further afield.

Picture
ENTRANCE TO HUMBER DOCK PHOTO FROM MONZ BROWN
This bridge gives access across the lock area and is still in place.

Picture
Barges being worked by crane in the tidal basin of Humber Dock.

Picture
The photograph looks as though it was taken from roughly where the Light Vessel is now moored and shows the two Associated Humber Line vessels 'Bury' and Melrose Abbey' along with the Humber Pilot Cutter No.2 which was I think  'William Fenton'. The lock would be just astern of the Pilot Cutter.
Innes Collection.

Picture
At some stage two mooring dolphins were placed in the centre of the dock. These were used to increase quay space as vessels could tie up stern to these and use the anchor at the bow and work cargo overside to barges.

The dock finally closed in 1968 and many of the buildings around were also lost. However in 1983 it was re-opened as a marina which still provides a fascinating stroll on a summers evening today.

Almost the same view as the first picture showing Humber Dock as a marina

No comments:

Post a comment